Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Punkin: 1, Sweet Tooth:1

Q: What do Costco and a wicked sweet tooth equal?

A: Disaster, plain and simple.

I went to Costco since I received coupons in the mail and one of them was for those Swiffer wet cloth refills (just bought me a Swiffer and she make me so very, very happy! That tidy person inside is bustin’ out, I tell ya). Unbeknownst to me, the coupons didn't start ‘til September 8th. So here I was, already inside Costco, having fought tooth and nail for a parking spot (during the middle of the day on a Wednesday no less!) and I didn't really feel like walking right out again. I grabbed some Propel water (at 41 cents per 16 oz. bottle, there simply is no better deal in town), some sugar snap peas, when I blacked out and woke up in the candy aisle.

For those of you unfamiliar with Costco or Sam's club, this is no ordinary candy aisle. Oh hell no. This aisle carries every major chocolate bar- in bulk. All the local, small time vending machine companies get their candy from here. Want a Hershey's Bar? How about 48 of them for $15? Feel like some skittles? Go get the cart because your back cannot carry that 20 pound bag around the store for more than a few minutes (exaggerating here, but only a tad). So I'm staring at the oodles upon oodles of candy, wishing I wasn't so fat (I hate when people see me buy "naughty" foods. I may have been carrying a huge box of Propel and a medium sized bag of healthy peas, but damn it, the minute I put a bag of chocolate on top, I’m the stereotypical fat girl who can’t control herself). I bowed to the wicked sweet tooth and bought a big ol’ bag.

Remember at Halloween when you would sort out all your candy into ‘really good’, ‘kind of good’, and ‘I’ll eat it only when everything else is gone’ candy piles? This bag of candy is filled with all the ‘really good’ candies. We’re talking bite sized Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Hershey’s, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups… I mean the really, really good stuff! I took it home, had the equivalent of two regular candy bars after lunch, and luckily my stomach told me it had enough. I stared at the rest of the bag (roughly 145 out of 152 pieces left) and thought to myself, “How the hell am I gonna get rid of all of this?" Luckily I have a boyfriend with rock hard abs and a crazy metabolism, not to mention a nine year old son whose metabolism matches that of his dad’s. Plus my coworkers never ever turn down candy. So I bagged up what was left (minus a small Ziploc bag of candy for my lunches) and promptly took them to the car.

I’m not proud of buying so much freaking candy. But I am proud of myself for not letting it sit around the house with me. This is the first time I was tempted to buy so much of something. I’ve been really good about portion sizes (especially ice cream). Perhaps that’s why I’ve maintained my weight loss now for almost a year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats awesome! Way to pass it on, I think I would have hid it under my bed and finished if off in three days.

And do I ever know the temptation of the Costco candy aisle!

6:52 PM, September 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?