Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Random Monday--- er make that Tuesday!

1. I have been avoiding the scale for a good two weeks because I knew I was eating way too many sweets. As evidence by the craters on my face today (yuck!), Thanksgiving weekend wasn’t much better. I decided to turn a new leaf yesterday so I mustered up the courage to step on the scale. 193. It was down two pounds from my lowest weight ever. I was shocked. At first I thought it was because I was weighing myself on the bathroom floor in my new apartment. But it was the same no matter where I moved around the apartment. Perhaps everyone is just a little lighter in my new city.

2. That new city is Springfield. GROAN. I don’t know a lot about Springfield other than what I have been told and what I’ve seen while visiting and shopping here. The very first person I spoke to when I first arrived in Oregon (the agent at the rental counter at PDX) told me to never ever move to Springfield. Many others have reiterated that sentiment over the past four years. The crime rate is seemingly higher and there are more unsavory characters roaming the streets than Eugene. Of course the same could be said about Eugene after any Ducks game or around finals week. Unfortunately I didn’t have much choice especially since the budget dictated where I would go. I moved to an area that is close to J, work, and school. I bought extra safety locks for my apartment, some garlic leis for decoration, and I’m going to hope for the best.

3. The apartment is not bad for what I can afford. I know I’m going down a few notches as my previous apartment was only 5 years old whereas this one seems to be roughly 30 years old. The outside looks a lot worse than the inside though. It’s amazing what a new coat of paint, new linoleum, and carpeting can do for a place. The apartment is 700 square feet-only 180 square feet less than the 2 bedroom I was living in. So other than the coveted washer and dryer that I’m losing, it’s not all that bad. I feel like it’s the right size for one person and her two ungrateful cats. What sold me on the place was what is considered the makeup area of the bathroom where there is space underneath the vanity for a chair. The kitty box goes well there but I’m now on a hunt to build odor blocking curtains. A deodorizer that sprays automatically after a cat goes would be a big help too. I never realized how messy and stinky those two brats can be.

4. I walked around the morning with my fly down on my jeans. No one said a word. It’s so obnoxious when people don’t think to clue you in on something like that. Just tell me so I don’t continue to make an ass of myself!

5. As of Thanksgiving morning, I am officially now “The Girlfriend”. (shaking head) It kind of sucks that I have to fall for someone whom I consider THE ONE and yet he’s moving at a snails pace. But it was pointed out to me by another friend that he’s taking it slow because he cares enough to do so. I get that. So for now, I’m learning to keep pace with him- as hard as that is. It’s not like I’m necessarily okay with lightening fast (even though that is typically my m.o.), it’s just that this time… this time it is different. Why? Because not only have I moved fast in a physical sense, but my feelings moved just as fast. I have never fallen in love with someone this quickly. It is my belief that to fall in love with someone, it requires three things: enough time (how much is dictated by each individual case), the total acceptance of the other person and all their faults, and some sort of situation that tests the bond that the two people share- trust and intimacy are essential ingredients to the mix. I didn’t have two of the three and yet I knew I was in love with the guy by the end of the first week. I can’t explain that. I certainly didn’t mean to fall in love with him so quickly. There was no way for me to know that the man sitting 10 feet across from me at work all summer would come to be the one that I instinctive know I want to marry. Not my fault… not my fault…not my fault. Let me recap the days. October 29th- our pseudo study date (do you think any studying actually got done? Accompanying the pseudo date was the pseudo kiss. But I straightened him out on that one. Ain’t never gonna kiss me in the parking lot of a Sherry’s diner ever again!). October 31st- our first official date (in a bar… on Halloween… with one and only one official first kiss that pretty much confirmed that we’d never have a problem finding passion for one another). Now if I count on my fingers- why that would make 31 days more or less. That’s so scary. And in that respect, I get the whole “slowing down thing” that we agreed to. But then again, it doesn’t feel like one measly month. Even in the first week, I was turning towards him from time to time and thinking to myself “Haven’t I always known you? Hasn’t my hand always fit into yours just so? One minute he’s a stranger and 12 hours of phone conversations, 3 dates and 2 dozen emails later, I find myself falling for him as if it required no effort at all. They say that you know when you know. I always thought that was a bunch of hooey… but now, I’m pretty sure there is something to that.

6. I am full of bruises from this weekend’s move. I’ve also been eating poorly (see #1) and so I’m bruising a whole lot easier these days. I bought a multivitamin but I can’t choke the damn thing down. But never fear- I bought some high protein Boost at the store last night to supplement my diet for now.

7. Did the whole Black Friday early morning shopping thing for the first time in my life this year. While I wasn’t terribly impressed, I did get a couple of good deals including some Egyptian cotton body towels that I adore. I’m still on the fence as to whether it’s worth it next year. I didn’t like the whole getting up at 4am thing.

8. It snowed here today and it is forecasted to do so for a few more days. We won’t see a whole lot but it is very rare for November. I wish that if it was going to snow, it should just be a whole bunch so everyone can have a free day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?