Tuesday, June 06, 2006

This Is Why I Want To Be A Photographer

This past weekend, as I was flipping channels, I stumbled on a 20/20 segment about the Heart Gallery. Originally started in New Mexico, the project has spread to several other states (at least 40) and helped countless foster children find permanent homes. The pictures are taken by professional photographers and they are vibrant, stunning, and dynamic. These traveling galleries move from city to city within each state and try to garner attention for children that sometimes seem otherwise forgotten. There are galleries all over- Washington, D.C., Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska... just about anywhere you can imagine. You can visit the Time photo essay to see more examples. The next time one rolls into my neck of the woods, I will be first in line to experience it.

David Bergman was featured in the 20/20 segment during the photo shoot that this picture came from. And he is just my new favorite idol now.

Whenever I thought about being an architect, it was always about the buildings. I didn't think about making a difference in anyone's life when I imagined my career and my life's work. I wanted to build, is all.

But whenever I think about being a photographer, it is always about the people. I can see such wonderful possibilities for helping people through art. I was greatly inspired when I first heard about the FSA photographers of the Depression or Jacob Riis who documented slum conditions at the turn of the 20th century. I am inspired and touched in ways that I can't describe. I want to see something change for the better through art and journalism. I want to see a better world created just by the flick of my wrist and the focus of my lens. And I want others to be able to see it too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to your blog as a fat woman looking for like-minded others, and was doubly pleased to find a fellow photographer in the process. Your photos are fabulous and I look forward to checking back to see your work progress.

9:51 AM, June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?